One of the most common questions that people ask themselves when they hire a skip is simply what they can or cannot put into it. People who choose to hire a skip often think that they can simply throw anything that they want into a skip - skips are where you throw things away, so why not? This is NOT the attitude to take, skips are not suitable for all waste and knowing what you can't throw into them is vital for ensuring that you don't break the terms of your skip hire or face a fine.
What is not allowed?
The good news is that most waste can actually be thrown away; it is only a few select items that you must dispose of in different ways. Most of the waste that we do not allow is that which could potentially be hazardous and therefore dangerous to throw away, causing risk either to ourselves or you. The following items are not suitable for disposal in a skip:
- Lead-acid batteries
- Florescent tubes
- Clinical waste
What should I do with these items?
If you have any of the items listed above and need to dispose of them, you must do so in a way that follows laws, rules and regulations as directed by the appropriate governing body. To help you know what you have to do with these items we have put together a small helpful guide that you can follow and links to official websites containing more information.
- Fridges and TVs: Fridges and TVs, because they can be hazardous, must be taken to a registered WEEE recycling facility.
- Asbestos: You must NEVER put asbestos in a skip. Asbestos must be removed by a specialist - to find one contact your local authority who will provide one or point you in the direction of a company in the area.
- Batteries: Batteries contain various metal and chemicals that make them hazardous. The best place to take them is to a battery recycling box, often found in local supermarkets or petrol stations. Further locations can be found at http://www.batteryback.org/battery-collection.html.
- Fluorescent tubes, paints, solvents and other liquids: These items are all considered hazardous waste and must be taken to a hazardous waste disposal site which can be found by using the following link: https://www.gov.uk/hazardous-waste-disposal.
- Medical waste: Due to a risk of contamination and infection, medical waste must be disposed of by specialist companies which can be found by contacting the Department of Health.
- Tyres: These are best disposed of by taking them to a garage or tyre fitting company like Halfords. They will them off your hands for a fee. Alternatively, contact your local council.
Any other waste? Come to us!
The important thing to remember, despite all the talk of what you can't throw away, is that pretty much ANY other item in your home CAN be thrown away with no trouble at all. At WT Skip Hire we are perfectly equipped and licensed to do so. We provide our service to customers in Norwich, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth and provide a great number of different sized skips to suit any waste disposal needs that you may have.
To contact us about our skip hire policies and prices, please don't hesitate to call us on 01493 668118 or e-mail us at email@example.com.